Apply For Council Tax Reduction

Apply to your local council for Council Tax Reduction (sometimes called Council Tax Support).

You’ll get a discount on your bill if you’re eligible.

Council Tax Reduction replaced Council Tax Benefit in April 2013.

Find Out Your Local Council Details

Metropolitan and Local Council Authority
Unitary Local Authority Councils
District Councils

London Borough Local Authority Councils

Welsh Councils

What you need to know

  • Not available in Northern Ireland

There’s a different scheme in Northern Ireland.

You could be eligible if you’re on a low income or claim benefits. Your bill could be reduced by up to 100%.

You can apply if you own your home, rent, are unemployed or working.

What you get depends on:

  • where you live - each council runs its own scheme
  • your circumstances (eg income, number of children, benefits, residency status)
  • your household income - this includes savings, pensions and your partner’s income
  • if your children live with you
  • if other adults live with you